Pönnukökur (Icelandic pancakes)with sweetened skyr, and preserved blueberries
(Yields 4-5 4oz pancakes)
Adapted from “Honest Cooking” website by Mansi Desai
- 1c ap flour
- 1T sugar
- 1/4t baking powder
- 1/2t salt
- 1t vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3oz or 6T melted butter
- 1 1/4c warm milk
1. Warm the milk & butter in a saucepan.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt in a mixing bowl, whisk well. Add the vanilla & egg, mix again.
3. Slowly pour the milk mixture into the mixing bowl, mix until smooth.
4. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes to hydrate the flour.
5. Preheat 9-10” cast iron or nonstick pan medium heat. Brush with butter or pan spray.
6. Pour enough batter to evenly coat the pan, lifting it to create a swirl (@4oz or 1/2c).
7. Cook until pancake is lightly brown, turn it over to brown the other side.
8. Once cooked, flip it onto a plate to sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and roll it up tightly or stack on a plate for folding in whipped cream and preserves or fruit.
1. Sweeten some skyr (Icelandic Provisions brand) with honey or sugar, place in a dish.
2. Open a 7oz jar of Blueberry Aigre-Doux, place in a saucepan and reduce by close to half, place in serving dish.
3. Serve both alongside the warm pancakes, dust with powdered sugar.