From November 22-24, the Iceland-inspired social hotel KEX Portland is throwing their opening party to the public! The “Big Party Weekend” features some of Iceland’s biggest names in music, including DJ Berndsen and DJ Hermigervill, as well as comedy performances from Dagsson. All events throughout the weekend are free and open to all ages.
The idea of KEX first started in 2012, when a businessman and a set designer met at an abandoned biscuit factory in a strange corner of Reykjavík while scouting a location for an upcoming film. While the movie never got made, the vision for the set remained. The film treatment soon became the outline for a business plan to create a real place to hang out, where travelers and locals could both feel at home. They bought the biscuit factory, and KEX was born. KEX then became what it is today: a design-focused space filled with salvaged materials and pieces from around the world, and a social hotel where people from anywhere can gather to eat great food, hear music and be inspired. You don’t have to speak Icelandic to understand, all you have to do is step inside.
Check out the breakdown of the eventful opening weekend below and click here for more info:
- Friday, Nov. 22:
- 5pm – Live DJ set
- 8pm – Hermigervill + Berndsen DJ set
- 9:30pm – Summer Cannibals
- 10:30pm – Hermigervill + Berndsen DJ set
- Saturday, Nov. 23:
- 5:00pm – Guest DJ set
- 7:00pm – Ecology Ensemble
- 8:30pm – Megan Diana
- 10:00pm – Berndsen Trio
- 11:00pm – Dagsson
- Sunday, Nov. 24:
- 10am-12pm – MORGUNSTUND – live drawing session with Ran Flygenring + Dagsson. Bring a pad of paper and your favorite drawing tools! We’ll have coffee ready for you.
- 10am-12pm – Live DJ set with Skyler Locatelli, or Seattle’s Freakout Records
- 6pm – PSU Laptop Ensemble
Want to book your stay? Check rooms out here and be sure to share the Big Party Weekend details with your friends on Facebook!