Each year the Iceland Writers Retreat comes to Reykjavik to help authors and aspiring writers gain new skills and network. Returning April 29 to May 3, 2020, the event hosts small group workshops, networking and a unique travel experience that allows writers to focus on their writing while being inspired by the culture around them.
This year, the Iceland Writers Retreat is running a writing competition to provide one lucky winner admission to all of the events and four nights accommodation at the Radisson Blu Saga Hotel.* To enter, participants must submit a 350 word story or essay inspired by the photo above, which is captioned: “Iceland: ethereal, exhilarating, sublime.” More information and the entry form are here.
The entry must be submitted in English, should mention Iceland and must be your own original work. Judges will be looking for creativity, originality, and style.
People who have already registered to attend the Iceland Writers Retreat are also welcome to apply. If the winner has already registered, his or her payment will be refunded. All entries must be submitted by 23:59 (GMT) Monday, December 16, 2019 and will be judged anonymously.
To find out more details and enter the contest go to www.icelandwritersretreat.com. Any questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are also open for the Iceland Writers Retreat scholarship! Learn more here.
Will you be attending the Iceland Writers Retreat? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter.
Find full competition rules below:
Terms and Conditions:
- The author of the winning entry will receive one delegate spot at the Iceland Writers Retreat 2029, as well as four nights’ accommodation (if based outside of the Reykjavík Capital Area) at the Radisson Blu Saga Hotel and all other items listed on the registration page
- *The prize does NOT include airfare to Iceland, airport transfers, or any expenses not itemized in the delegate description.
- The prize is valid for one participant on a standard single room (if based outside of the Reykjavík Capital Area) basis. If the participant wishes to purchase a room upgrade or attend with an accompanying person, the standard additional fees apply.
- The prize does not include attendance at the Relax & Write extension.
- The entry must be submitted in English and must be your own original work.
- The entry must not have been published elsewhere, either in print or online. (If your entry does not win, you are welcome to publish it elsewhere after the contest winner is announced.)
- The winner grants Radisson Blu Saga Hotel and Iceland Writers Retreat the right to publish their submission (with credit) in conjunction with the promotion.
- Submissions that do not win will not be published. (We will publish second and third place entries with permission.)
- The judging panel is made up of representatives from the Radisson Blu Saga Hotel and previous volunteers of the Iceland Writers Retreat.
- The judges’ decision is final. Unfortunately we are unable to provide feedback on submissions.
- Only one entry per person.
- You must be 18 years old or older on the day the retreat begins (April 29, 2020) to enter.
- There is no entry fee.
- Contest closes at 23:59 (GMT) on Monday, December 16, 2019. The winner will be announced on January 13, 2020.
- Second or third place entries will be selected in the event that the first place winner cannot attend.
- Note that this prize is to attend the Iceland Writers Retreat and not the Iceland Readers Retreat.
About the Iceland Writers Retreat
Held for the first time in April 2014, the Iceland Writers Retreat is an event comprised of a series of small-group writing workshops and cultural tours designed to introduce participants to Iceland’s rich literary heritage. Faculty in 2020 include Maria Semple, Elnathan John, Patrick Gale and David Chariandy. The Iceland Writers Retreat was named one of the world’s best writers’ retreats by the Sydney Morning Herald, and one of the top 10 “Events to travel for in 2014” by Four Seasons Magazine.
The photo in this piece is by Roman Gerasymenko and used with permission.